Fighting Breast Cancer in the Better Normal
Cancer is the third leading cause of death in the Philippines. Tagged as a non-communicable disease, cancer is considered a “silent killer” taking over 100,000 lives in 2018.
Breast cancer is among the top cancer cases and the leading cause of death in the country. In 2018 alone, it accounted for 15 percent of all new cancer cases in the country and is responsible for 8 percent of cancer-related deaths. Data only proves that we should be vigilant to identify symptoms of breast cancer.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
The first signs of breast cancer may vary and sometimes may not have any symptoms at all. Common signs include:
- A lump in the breast or underarm - This is the most common early symptom of breast cancer. Doctors can often detect lumps through a mammogram exam before it can be felt in the flesh. Lumps may cause pain and tenderness in a patient’s breast.
- Swelling in the armpit or near the collarbone - a patient with breast cancer may feel a swelling before realizing a lump. When there is swelling, consult a doctor right away.
- Unusual nipple discharge - This includes bloody, clear, or any colored discharges that are not milk.
- Nipple changes - Nipples are pulled inward, dimpled, or have sores, burns, and itches.
- Flattened or indented on breasts - This may mean that there’s a tumor developing
While these symptoms may also be common to other diseases, it is important to consult a doctor when these start to manifest.
St. Luke’s Medical Center’s Breast Center is ready to provide the highest level of care for all its patients amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The hospital’s state-of-the-art imaging machines aid in proper diagnosis and patient treatment.
Stringent Infection Control Measures are implemented in doctors’ clinics and ultrasound rooms. Thorough disinfection before and after consultation is regularly implemented to ensure patient’s safety.
St. Luke's Medical Center - Quezon City
279 E Rodriguez Sr. Ave,
Quezon City, Philippines
St. Luke's Medical Center - Global City
Rizal Drive cor. 32nd St. and 5th Ave
Taguig City, Philippines